Monday, January 2, 2012

AIMing for November 17, 2012

In late October of 2010, I had a thought of how wonderful it would be to meet some of the fellow bloggers in the Hotel Melanoma world.  I have read dozens of blogs with many of the writers sharing inspiring and moving thoughts.  Some have become good “virtual friends” while others have sadly passed away in their fight against melanoma.  Still, I wondered what could happen to bring some of us physically together.
Literally that same evening, I received an email from Rev. Carol Taylor, founder of the Melanoma Prayer Center and the Melanoma Grief Chapel, as well as writer of the blog “Attitude of Gratitude.”  She was asking if I’d be willing to join her and two others (Chelsea Price of “Adventures With My Enemy Melanoma” and Rich McDonald of “Hotel Melanoma”) in organizing some type of fund-raising event.  Wow…talk about timing.
We had collectively decided to organize a fund-raising walk…but eventually realized the logistical challenge of four people across the country trying to organize one single event.  I’m not sure we could have pulled it off, but then Rich (I think) suggested that maybe we should pull together our efforts and support an already existing event.  Brilliant!  As it so happened, Chelsea was about to participate in the AIM for a Cure Melanoma Walk in Charlotte.  Based on her incredible experience, and the support and assistance from event organizer Anne Bowman, it was decided that we would work towards raising money for the 2012 AIM for a Cure Melanoma Walk!  But best of all, we’d all finally be able to meet one another.  Even Rich said he’d come in all the way from Colorado!
I’m happy to announce that a date has been set for the 2012 walk…November 17, 2012.  I’m sure we’ll have more details as the date draws closer, and soon some of us may start soliciting donations. Honestly, asking for money has never been my strong suit as (1) I also have many financial struggles and find it difficult to give hardly any money and (2) I’m just not an “asking” person.   But, eventually I will ask for you to either join us in Charlotte, NC on November 17, 2012…or to support one of us as we walk to support the fight against melanoma.
November 17 is the 322nd day of the year.  I am writing this on January 2nd, the second day of the year.  That means you have 320 days to save up to donate.   Saving one dollar a day would allow a donation of $320!  Of course, that's a lot of money to many (including me), so consider setting aside only a quarter a day.  That itself would add up to an $80 donation!  Even a dime a day would add up to $32…so crack open that jar and start dropping in your change today.  In a few months, we’ll be asking for your help.
Last year the Charlotte event raised over $35,000. My personal goal (not endorsed by others yet) would be to exceed $50,000 in 2012.  What a wonderful gift to the world…all from a few coins a day! 
Even more wonderful would be if you could join us in Charlotte!  Putting faces and feeling hugs from all these people we’ve read and shared with would make it the best day imaginable.  I would love for each of you to be a part of it!
I'll have more to share on this event soon.  Stay tuned!

2 comments: