Monday, October 17, 2011

"...That's what you could do for me!"

Giuliana Rancic appears on the E! Network as co-host of “E! News” and “Fashion Police.”  She’s been appearing on a Style Network reality show where she and her husband Bill have been documenting their struggles with infertility and attempts to conceive via IVF.  In the most recent episode, she was seen heading into a clinic for her next round of treatment.  Knowing that hormones increase the spread of cancer, the doctor ordered a mammogram prior to the treatment...”just in case.”  They found breast cancer.
I know...we melanoma folks tend to have a bit of pink envy.  While supporting the fight against ALL cancer, we get a little riled at the high profile nature of breast cancer awareness over all others.  But I wanted to share this story because of a remarkable quote that Ms. Rancic shared. 
"I had a friend call me yesterday, and she said, 'I'm so sorry, can I do anything for you?' And I said, 'Just call your doctor tomorrow and make an appointment. That's what you could do for me.'”
That’s such a powerful statement and I think a message we’ve all conveyed.  The best thing someone else can do for us is make an appointment to get checked.  That’s all we’re trying to say!
Well, I take that back.  The melanoma bunch has a two-fold message.  “Get checked...and wear sunscreen!

1 comment:

  1. Great post, Al. I have to admit, when I first heard on the radio that she has breast cancer, I rolled my eyes and thought "when will a famous person come out and share their battle with melanoma?" Of course I still have sympathy for her. I do watch their show sometimes. I think they are so brave to share all of their problems with the public... Most people would not!

    ReplyDelete