Friday, July 22, 2011

Pale Skin is In...Thoughts of Tina


Tina and her daughter Teya

Just found your blog. I think you are doing a wonderful job honoring your brother and as a stage IV melanoma survivor I appreciate the awareness you are creating. Also, I love the name of your blog. I too hope that one day melanoma awareness is just as great as breast. Keep up the good work!
These were the first words that Tina Sullivan shared with me on April 10, 2011.  Others had shared comments before, but Tina continued to offer up praise and kind words and became a loyal reader…even as her own battle was going through its ups and downs.  Her encouragement was what really lifted BITNP off the ground…it’s what made me want to continue writing about something that I was really only learning about as an observer. 
She shared stories of struggle and hope with me and many others through her blog, “Pale Skin Is In”.  I learned through her words and the words of her followers that Tina was a strong and beautiful person.  And she had a great support team of family and friends.  Even when Tina became so ill that she was unable to write, her husband continued posting updates of her condition…as well as the occasional reminder to continue the fight against melanoma.  I can’t help but imagine that she demanded (sweetly) to keep the fight going as she fought her own battle.
Tina passed away today.  Her husband Todd shared the following:
It is with a heavy heart and great sadness that I let you know Tina's journey has ended. She went peacefully this afternoon, and was surrounded by family. Tina's story of her battle with melanoma touched many people, and was an inspiration to all - she will be missed dearly...
Very true. 
As I’ve said before, melanoma warriors have a new angel watching over and leading the battle.  An angel indeed.

1 comment:

  1. Great post, Al. My heart is very heavy tonight. So many prayers & thoughts are being sent their way tonight...

    ReplyDelete